Welcome to the UltraEscape

No home, no car, no worries. On the road since 1996, a TechNomad couple share their travel secrets and adventures.



Sailing on Sand

Wow, it's the unexpected adventures that make our travel lifestyle so worthwhile.

The sun was finally shining, the wind still cool and the beach beckoned. Walking on Jacksonville Beach or any beach is a great way to both relax and get exercise.

Today, the seagulls cooperated by not flying away when approached for a photo. Two wind sailing vehicles zoomed across the beach near the pier. I stood still as one vehicle tacked with the wind before me, then zoomed away. I turned so the sun was to my back and raised my new Casio Exilim 7.2 mega pixel camera to see if I could catch the colorful action on video.

JACKSONVILLE BEACH, FLORIDA

To my surprise, one of the vehicles approched and stopped. The elderly captian, in a navy blue USS Sarasota cap, invited me to take a ride. Since I had just been reading about steping out of my comfort zone, I decided to go for it. Soon, I was sailing across the hardpacked sand.

It was great fun to rush toward the waves, then swerve suddenly either to the right or to the left and loop around only to do it again. With one leg braced on the side of the frame, the other perched on a rope tied between the frame and center support and only one handhold, a bunge cord straped to the center support, each turn felt as if you were going to spill out onto the sand.

To soon, the unexpected trip was over and I continued on my walk excitedly planning what to say about my unexpected adventure.

How often do you step out of your comfort zone? Have you tried wind sailing? I recommend it.

No comments: